Saturday, August 12, 2017

Shelf Candy Saturday No. 222: An Enchantment of Ravens, by Margaret Rogerson



Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!



This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful covers!
It also provides information, 
if available, on their 
very talented creators!


Here's my choice for this week!!



An Enchantment of Ravens
Margaret Rogerson
Hardcover, 304 pages
Margaret K. McElderry Books
September 26, 2017
   Fantasy, Young Adult Fiction


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30969741-an-enchantment-of-ravens



My Thoughts About This Cover

This exquisitely elegant cover reminds me of one of the paintings of Botticelli, known as "Primavera".  If you compare this cover image with the illustration shown below, you will see certain similarities, although there are some obvious differences, as well. 




Primavera
Sandro Botticelli
(late 1470s or early 1480s)
Tempera on panel
Uffizi Gallery, Florence, Italy


The color scheme is very similar in both the cover and the painting, and the detail on the sleeve of the cover model is very much like the ones on the gown of one of the characters in the painting; specifically, the third one from the right.

The profile on the book cover looks more modern, of course; in fact, it has an almost cartoonish -- perhaps even a "Disneyish" -- quality about it. However, the overall lighting does remind me of the lighting in the Botticelli painting. 

The flowing hair of the young woman on the cover also reminds me of the equally flowing hair of the young women standing to the left, in Botticelli's painting.  

The classical font used for the title is effective, although I would have preferred a more ornate one.

Another element of this cover that I love is the way the ravens frame the young woman's profile. This is very effective indeed!

The brilliant artist behind this glorious cover is Charlie Bowater, an illustrator born in the UK. She was indeed raised on cartoons, especially those by Disney, as I discovered when I Googled her. She is a full-time Lead Concept Artist and Illustrator, having worked on many projects such as book covers and concept and marketing art for games. She's also an avid reader.

And my list of favorite cover artists just keeps growing and growing!



Online Links



What do you think of 
this week's cover?
Do you have any further
observations about this cover?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!








6 comments:

  1. Hi Maria.

    Connecting the two images is brilliant! I agree that the colors and the lighting give the two images an interesting similarity.

    I really like the Raven and its effect on Bowater's illustration. I find its eye striking. It adds to the entire image in a very strong way.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      Thanks for the compliment!! <3 :)

      Yes, the colors and lighting are indeed similar. I'm pretty sure that Bowater must have been inspired to some degree by Botticelli's painting.

      Your point about the raven's eye is a great one! I agree that it does add something to the image. Having looked at the whole cover again, it suddenly struck me that it's the juxtaposition of the raven's eye with the young woman's eye that makes this effect so powerful. Nice observation! :)

      Thanks for the wonderful comment!! Hope you're having a great Saturday, and that you enjoy your Sunday, too!! <3 :)

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful cover. I love the framing and the style of the artwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sam!

      I'm glad you love it, too, and for precisely the very things I love about it!

      Thanks for commenting!! <3 :)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, I really like the fact that your compare it to a painting ! Thanks for this cultural post !
    I was thinking of this book when I was telling you about the recurrent "bird" theme in book covers at the moment x)
    The thing I like the most in this cover is the ravens ! especially their feathers and the ones we can only see partially (they add a "moving effect")

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sandrine!

      Oh, THANK YOU for the compliment!! <3 <3

      You're very welcome for the cultural post! I LOVE art, so sometimes I will bring famous paintings into these posts, if they're relevant to certain book covers.

      You know, I had not noticed that a lot of current book covers have birds on them. I'll be on the lookout for them whenever I go to a bookstore!

      Yeah, those ravens really ROCK!! I think you're right in saying that they make the cover look like it's moving!

      Thanks for the very LOVELY comment!! HUGS!!!! <3 <3 <3 :) :) :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)