Sunday, April 23, 2017

Shelf Candy Saturday No. 209: The Language of Thorns, by Leigh Bardugo



Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!



*Late Edition*
This is my weekly feature
showcasing beautiful covers!
It also provides information, 
if available, on their 
very talented creators!


Here's my choice for this week!




The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic
Leigh Bardugo
Hardcover, 224  pages
Imprint Reads
(part of Macmillan Children's 
Publishing Group)
September 26, 2017
   Fantasy, Horror, Short Stories, 
Young Adult Fiction


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34076952-the-language-of-thorns?ac=1&from_search=true#



My Thoughts About This Cover

I would not normally go for such a perfectly symmetrical cover, especially one with 'an ominous vibe', but this one is SO very stunning, I just had to pick it for this week's "Shelf Candy Saturday"! (Which is increasingly turning into "Shelf Candy Sunday", lol.)

When I first came across this cover, it was on the blog Brittany's Book Rambles, run, of course, by Brittany. She featured this book on her latest "Waiting On Wednesday" post. You can check out the post HERE. This is a BEAUTIFUL blog, by the way, and Brittany features a LOT of Young Adult Fiction on it, so be sure to take a look at it!

This cover's design is not only symmetrical, but intricate, and yet, simple at the same time. The thorns are part of little vignettes that are neatly placed in each of the book's four corners, meeting in the middle of the cover, top and bottom, through 'extensions' that just barely touch. The thorny stems are ornate motifs that look 'innocent' enough -- until the spiky, very sinister-looking thorns emerge. Then they actually become threatening....

In spite of the ominous feeling I get from this cover, I also see a touch of whimsy in it. That comes from the four small animals framed by the thorny vignettes. They're actually cute. I don't know what they symbolize, but, of course, they must have something to do with the story. The small crescent moon at the top refers to the night, naturally. I wonder if it's supposed to complement the two small dots -- they look like eyes -- framed at the bottom of the cover.

I LOVE the color scheme! It's a very unusual one, too, but works beautifully with the dark background. In fact, the three colors used so skillfully here contribute to the fairy tale feeling of the cover, as well as to the somewhat threatening mood.

The font is basically a classic one, but it's been altered and embellished very nicely. It forms a very nice contrast with rest of the cover, but doesn't clash with it in any way.

As I took one last look at the cover, I realized that the thorny branches surrounding the title actually form a diamond shape around it, thus emphasizing it Very clever!

Who created this cover AWESOMENESS? Well, none other than the cover artist for Everything, Everything, by Nicola Yoon!! Her name is Natalie Sousa, and she's the Creative Director at Imprint Reads, which is a part of Macmillan Children's Publishing Group. (She's also known as N.C. Sousa.) In the past, she's worked for Penguin, Scholastic, and Warner Brothers. If you check out her cover designs at her website, you'll see that she has a very eclectic style. She's also a print designer.
  


Online Links




What do you think of this 
week's cover?
Please leave a comment
and let me know!









6 comments:

  1. I really like this cover. The colors work for me.

    There is something about that shade of blue that draws me in. It works so well against the black.

    I also like the design of the creatures in the corners. It is neat that land, sea and air animals are represented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brian!

      Yeah, aren't the colors great! i don't think I've ever seen this combination before, and I, too, think that it works perfectly.

      I also agree that that particular shade of blue goes very well with the dark background.

      You know, I hadn't noticed, but you're right -- those are land, sea, and air animals. I think they're actually cute, too.

      Thanks for the nice comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  2. I just saw this cover just now! When I first saw the cover it was kind of overwhelming bc I didn't come anywhere close to see the thorns or the many details in this cover. Doesn't detract from it, but adds to it instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Verushka!

      Yeah, this cover can indeed be overwhelming at first sight. Then, as you start to study it, you become aware of all the interesting details!

      Thanks for the nice comment!! <3 :)

      Delete
  3. Ahhh thank you so much for the lovely shout-out! <3 I didn't realize the same lady created the Everything, Everything cover :D Wonderful post!

    Brittany @ Brittany's Book Rambles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Brittany!

      You're very welcome!! I think it's very important to credit blogs where one first sees a book. And the moment I saw THIS cover, I just KNEW I had to feature it on "Shelf Candy Saturday"!!

      I was surprised too, as well as delighted, when I found out that this is the same designer who created the cover for "Everything, Everything"!!

      Thanks for the compliment on the post, and for the nice comment!! HUGS!!! <3 :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)