Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Waithng On Wednesday #76: The Twice Lost, by Sarah Porter




This is a weekly event hosted by
It showcases future releases which
we book bloggers are
eagerly anticipating!!




Here's my choice for this week!





(Lost Voices #3)
Sarah Porter
Hardcover, 480 pages
Harcourt Children's Books
July 2, 2013
Fantasy, Young Adult Fiction


The Goodreads Synopsis


Mermaids have been sinking ships and drowning humans for centuries, and now the government is determined to put an end to the mermaid problem—by slaughtering all of them. Luce, a mermaid with exceptionally threatening abilities, becomes their number-one target, hunted as she flees down the coast toward San Francisco.     

There she finds hundreds of mermaids living in exile under the docks of the bay. These are the Twice Lost: once-human girls lost first when a trauma turned them into mermaids, and lost a second time when they broke mermaid law and were rejected by their tribes. Luce is stunned when they elect her as their leader. But she won’t be their queen. She’ll be their general. And they will become the Twice Lost Army—because this is war.




Why I'm Waiting On This Book
I love books about mermaids!
These creatures have always and totally
fascinated me....
This is yet another series I
have long wanted to start reading,
and just haven't had the time.
The plot premise is that
mermaids can be very dangerous,
but of course this book's
mermaid protagonist is several cuts
above the norm. 
She seems to be on the side of the humans,
too, which totally endears her to me.
And what about that cover?
Although looking at pictures of the
ocean depths can be scary,
I love this cover!!
It's not scary at all!!! 
Ahhh....all that blue water
has certainly helped me covet this book!





 

What exciting book(s) are you
eagerly anticipating
this week?




 

6 comments:

  1. I have to say that this sounds like a great premise. A Genocidal campaign, and exiled mermaids sound very original. I would guess that there are parallels to the oppression and genocides against human groups in history.

    I really hope that you read this one soon as I would love to hear what you think about this one Maria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      Oh, it definitely sounds very original. I'll have to start with the first book in the series, though -- "Lost Voices".

      You know, I've always thought of mermaids as sweet and non-threatening. I guess that's because of Disney's "The Little Mermaid", which is based on a Hans Christian Andersen story. I'll have to see how this tale unfolds.

      Thanks for the visit and the comment!! :)

      Delete
  2. I've always been fascinated by mermaids, too. In fact, I just watched a show on Discovery of History (or one of those similar channels) about whether or not actual mermaids exist (the non-answer: maybe?). I do love the cover for this. I may have to track down the first book in the series. Great pick!
    Natflix&Books' WoW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Natalie!

      Gee, it would be so AWESOME if mermaids really existed!! Of course, if such creatures really do exist, I'm sure they wouldn't be at all like the ones in fantasy and mythology.

      This cover is indeed gorgeous! And of course, I want to get the first book of the series, so I cant start on it1

      Thanks for the visit and the comment!! :)

      Delete
  3. I've never read a mermaid book. I think I just think too much about it. I start wondering how they use the restroom, how they have sex, etc.
    I've heard of some really great mermaid books though so I should give one a try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Nereyda!

      Oh, you're so funny! You know, I had never thought of such things before. But you're right -- how DO they take care of all their bodily needs? Lol.

      I've read only one mermaid book so far -- "Tempest Rising", by Tracy Deebs, and I greatly enjoyed it! But in that book, Tempest, the protagonist, wasn't a mermaid all the time, but only when she was in the water. Since she spent part of her time on land, she had legs like a normal human being. So she went to the bathroom like everybody else. Since this was a YA book, there was no sex in it, in or out of the water. Lol.

      You should give this Tempest book a try! I think you'll love it! And I think this "Lost Voices" series will be great, too!

      Thanks for commenting back!! :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)