Saturday, May 4, 2013

Shelf Candy Saturday #66: Across A Star-Swept Sea, by Diana Peterfreund




Welcome to Shelf Candy Saturday!!



This weekly feature
showcases beautiful book covers,
and provides information,
if available, on their very talented creators!

For more information
about Shelf Candy Saturday,
just click HERE.




This is my choice for this week!





(For Darkness Shows the Stars #2)
Hardcover, 464 pages
Balzer + Bray
October 15, 2013
Dystopian Fiction, Romance,
Science Fiction, Suspense, YA


Why do I love this cover?

Ah, the color blue....it gets me every time!  This particular cover has a lot of this most beautiful of colors on it, so therefore I'm head over heels... However, it's not just the blue that attracted me.  Any images of the sea will also catch my eye, since I've lived near the ocean all my life. 

The young woman in this image seems to be standing on a rock at the very edge of the ocean, eyes closed.  Is she absorbing the water's energies?  Or is she commanding the waves with her outstretched right arm?  This little mystery sure has me intrigued... I love how she's simply standing there, very peaceful and still, even though a strong wave could come along and sweep her right off that rock.  There's a power emanating from her....  Her ball gown, so incongruous in this setting, matches the color of the depths of the sea, so she paradoxically blends right in.

The sky is just as beautiful as the restless ocean.  It seems that dawn has just spread across the scene, since some stars are still visible in the wide expanse of blue.

Usually I wouldn't like the title to be right in the middle of the cover, but somehow, it works here.  I like that all the letters are lower case.  Their white color echoes the color of the foam splashing at the bottom of the cover.  I am particularly enchanted  by those circle flourishes on some of the letters.  The total effect is stunning!

As I looked more closely at the foam, I also noticed what appear to be little glowing stars floating in it.  This is a very nice touch, as well.  It's as if the sky has somehow become part of the swirling ocean.

Since I won't own this book until it's released on October 15th, I have been unable to get any information on the cover artist/photographer or whichever creative person has gifted the world with this gorgeous image.  I'll have to wait until October to find out...





What do you think of my choice?
Leave your comments below!










4 comments:

  1. I completely agree, this cover is gorgeous!! I love the color (of course), the font, the dress, the sea, and the stars! <3

    Jen

    My SCS:
    http://lratrandom.blogspot.com/2013/05/shelf-candy-saturday-43-bea-edition.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jen!

      As soon as this book is out, I'm getting out my credit card and ordering it! Another jewel for my collection!

      Thanks for commenting!! :)

      Delete
  2. Great cover.

    Though it has surrealistic elements, the effect of this picture for me conveys the feeling and memories of being at ocean's edge on a summer night. i think that the rendering of the sky really adds to that feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Brian!

      Oh, what a beautiful comment!! I agree with everything you've stated! And yes, this cover DOES have a surreal feel to it. I can't wait to make this book a part of my personal collection!

      I really appreciate that you always comment on this post, week after week! As you know, this feature means a LOT to me!! Although I'm saddened by the lack of participation -- as you can see, I'm no longer including the Linky widget at the bottom of the post -- I will continue to publish this post every week. I've always been a VERY visual person (I studied art in college), so book covers are very, very special to me. Also, I think that, in recent years, we readers have been treated to more and more GORGEOUS covers, thanks to the advances in technology. So now, when you walk into a bookstore, it truly IS a feast for the eyes!!

      Thanks again for your wonderful comment!! :)

      Delete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)