Saturday, September 15, 2012

Shelf Candy Saturday #35: Innocent Darkness, by Suzanne Lazear

 
 
 
Welcome to
Shelf Candy Saturday!!
 
This weekly meme/blog hop, hosted here,
features beautiful book covers!
It was originally hosted by
Stephanie @
Five Alarm Book Reviews,
a blog I really miss...

If you'd like to participate, just grab my button (or create your own), write your own post, and link up in the Linky widget at the bottom of this post. Just be sure to click on "Read more" so that the entire post will open up.

As a bonus, you can include information on the artist, designer, and/or photographer in your post, but it's not required. You can simply feature a cover and explain why you love it!
 
 
 
Here's my pick for this week!
 
 
 
 
Paperback, 408 pages
Flux
August 8, 2012
(first published January 1, 2012)
Genre: Steampunk, Fantasy
 
 
 
Why do I love this cover?
 
I've been wanting to get into the Steampunk genre for some time now, and it's because of the covers.  The ones I've seen so far have all been quirky and just plain gorgeous!  This one certainly is, as well! 
 
To start off, I love this girl's dress!  It looks so cool!  (You can see the complete image at the link below.)   She's got a stopwatch hanging at her waist, which makes her outfit even cooler.  I wonder what that's for.  I also like her bracelet.  As for her hair, I'm going to ask my hair stylist if she can style mine like this!  I love her hair color, as well, so I might just try it out myself... 
 
The girl has a pair of goggles sitting on top of her head, which give a hint that she might be an airship pilot, as the one pictured behind her also suggests.  I'm especially intrigued, though, by the tiny stars shining all around her head.  I wonder what that's all about...could it be related to the fact that there are fairies included in the story?
 
The scene behind the girl is reminiscent of the early industrial period in the United States, which is something usually dealt with in Steampunk novels.  The sky seems to be heavy with smoke, as the airship floats silently above the scene.  The colors echo the predominant brown tones in the girl's clothes.
 
The design of the book's title is nothing short of brilliant!  It's surrounded by an old-fashioned frame that also includes mechanical gears.  The effect is just so perfect!  The font is a classical one, but it's been turned into a rather quirky one through subtle details, like the cross inside the letter O, and the substitution of another cross for the letter T.  The shadowy lines extending up and down from each letter contribute to the overall quirkiness, as well.
 
This cover is obviously a composite image, yet it all hangs together so well.  The emphasis is on the girl, while the background provides some added information. 
 
One last thing -- this cover has a touch of humor, as well.  The expression on the girl's face makes her look a little 'ditzy' or even clueless, but that's obviously not the way she is at all.  In fact, she strikes me as being quite a sly character, one that just loves trouble.  I also think she's very resourceful.  Looking 'innocent' is one of those resources, and she's used it well. 
 
The back cover is just as absolutely beautiful as the front cover!  I decided to include my own picture of a detail of it, although I have been able to find the complete cover image online.  Unfortunately, I didn't have access to great lighting.  Still, the beauty of the cover comes through, I hope.  I especially like that circle with the intricate Celtic designs!
 
 
 
 
Detail of back cover
 
 
 
The highly talented artist for
this gorgeous cover is
John Kicksee!!
 
I would love to post the complete
image of this cover,
but won't because of possible
copyright problems.
If I'm able to get permission for that
from the artist later on,
then I'll definitely post it!
For now, you can view it in all of its
gorgeousness by clicking
HERE!!
 
You will also find the artist's bio
at this site,
which features work by many
great illustrators, and is known as
 
 
 
 
What do you think of my choice?
What beautiful cover(s)
are you featuring this week?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




8 comments:

  1. Wow, very striking cover! I've been reading more steampunk, too, though books from the genre tends to be a hit or miss for me-- but the covers are nearly always beautiful or quirky. I like the girl's dress and bracelet, too-- they remind me of the dresses you sometimes see women wearing at renaissance or sci-fi faires.

    I joined in on your meme this week-- couldn't resist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, there, Kat!

    Oh, thank you SO much for participating in this meme!! You know, I inherited it from Stephanie @ Five Alarm Book Reviews. She decided to take down her entire blog, would you believe! She told me that was because it was self-hosted...it's a long story... Anyway, she said I was welcome to continue her meme, and I hopped on it!

    I saw this book at B&N the weekend before I posted my Narnia cover post, and snapped it up!! (I bought both of those books on the same day.) I LOVE this cover!!!

    Thank you SO much for joining in this week!! Hope you can continue! I can't wait to see the cover you've picked!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous cover! There's so much to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great cover Maria!

    Though I have not read any of the modern Steam Punk novels I am very interested in certain aspects of the concept.

    For some reason giant airships intrigue me and I am always drawn to pictures of them. The one in this picture looks really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steampunk covers certainly are gorgeous! I have to admit that I got into the genre just because of the style (but later, I began to love the whole concept of steampunk). Antique and victorian looks have a certain effect on me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Jen!

    It certainly is!! It was love at first sight when I saw this book at B&N!!

    Thanks so much for participating and commenting!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Brian!

    Isn't it absolutely GORGEOUS? Of course, we females focus more on the girl's outfit, but you're right -- that airship DOES look interesting! And I believe our heroine pilots the thing. I'll know for sure when I start reading this novel.

    I've heard SO many great things about this genre, I've decided to try it out, and I think this is a GREAT place to start!

    Thanks for the nice comment!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, Sydney!

    Oh, I agree. I don't think I've seen an ugly cover on a Steampunk novel yet!

    I have the same feelings you do when I see antique and Victorian objects and designs; they're just so exquisite!!

    Thanks for commenting!! : )

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)