Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Fan Fiction: "Twilight Into Night" (One-Shot)




Disclaimer: I own nothing related to the Twilight Saga. These are Stephenie Meyer's characters, and no copyright infringement is intended, now, or at any time in the future, near or far.

So the twilight deepened into night, and still you held me, and we both watched the moon rise, our breaths mingling with the soft night breeze.  You whispered to me as you bent your head to my own, and I did not understand the words, for they seemed to be in an unknown tongue. 

Then you smiled gently into my eyes, and I understood you were telling me you loved me.  I had been too breathless to take the words in before.  I did not focus on them, but on your face, nearly invisible in the low light.  Your eyes gleamed as they stared into mine, and I sighed. 

I had no wish to be anywhere but in your arms that night.

“Edward…”  Your name slipped out on a breath, and so, of course, you kissed me. 

“I love the sound of my name on your lips,” you said, as you made me more comfortable in the circle of your arms.

I sighed again, and you caressed my hair as I sank as much into you as possible without entirely losing myself. 

Then you began to hum, softly at first, until you formed words to fit the melody, and began to sing.  Your song wafted into my heart as tenderly as the night breeze caressed the moon, and the trees, and the silvery leaves of grass that formed a natural carpet beneath us.

You sang of our love.  You sang of the impossible love between a human girl and a vampire boy, and of how that love would conquer and endure, despite all obstacles.

I really began to wish it were daytime, so I could see you sparkling, asking myself, once again, if all that we had so far gone through was real.  But then, you’re just as glorious in the moonlight.  Your paleness creates a pool of awed silence around you, and I sit very quietly at your side, wondering if you will suddenly flit away like a fluttering leaf, leaving me alone once more.

“What are you thinking?”  Your melodious voice raised the hairs on the back of my neck. 

“Why have you stopped singing?”  I turned to look up at you, at your shimmering, golden gaze.

You smiled again, and I blushed, ducking my head.  Blushing is an uncontrollable habit of mine.

“It’s not quite fair to answer a question with another question, is it now?”

“Guess not!”  I was grinning as I looked up at you again.

Then suddenly the night wind shifted, and so did he.  I could feel the uneasiness in him, the coiled power as he suddenly sprang to his feet, completely alert to our surroundings.

“What is it?”  I asked, my heart now pounding furiously.  No matter how much I strain my ears, I cannot possibly hear sounds as well as he can.

But then I heard it, too  – a melancholy cry, the howl of a wolf in pain.  Edward’s face tightened, and I felt the pain anew.

It was Jacob, of course, expressing his soul’s agony.  It was the agony of a boy deeply in love with a girl who loved him too, although her heart irrevocably belonged to another…

“Come on, Bella.”  Edward spoke softly, but I heard the tone of command in his voice.  “It’s time I got you back home.”

He helped me to my feet, and I climbed onto his back for my usual return ride to my truck.

Without a backward glance, we sped away from our meadow, as dark clouds swept across the moon, stealing away its pearly light.





2 comments:

  1. You're really talented :D You could go really far one day, farer then Stephenie Meyer I believe. Keep up the writing. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, thank you!!! I'm at a loss for words...BETTER than Stephenie Meyer? Well, I'll certainly keep writing. I'd like to at least be the next Stephenie Meyer! What an honor THAT would be!!

    Thanks again!!! =D

    ReplyDelete

THIS IS NOW AN AWARD-FREE, AND TAG-FREE BLOG. Thanks for the compliment, though! : )

As of today, 9/23/18, I have permanently enabled comment moderation, due to a sudden rash of SPAM comments. I appreciate your patience!

Thanks for your thoughts on my posts! I always reply here, as well as comment back on your blog. Have a WONDERFUL day!! :)